In 2012, we started our Federal Government Contractor practice. Federal Contractors (including Aerospace & Defense providers) have been a significant part of CorasWorks’ business since we began in 2003. In 2012, we created a dedicated team to focus on this industry and build and deliver industry specific solutions. With the increased competition in this industry in recent years and the threat of the Fiscal Cliff and Sequestration in 2013 – we figured it was the perfect time to engage deeply and help our customers Do More for Less and drive their competitive position. We focused on solutions for the internal operations of Federal Contractors. In this article, I do a review of our work in this industry in 2012 and provide you with a heads up of our plans for 2013.
2012 in Review
- Our business with Federal Government contractors for internal use grew 75%, making it our fastest growing industry segment last year
- We served a broad group of Top 100 Federal Contractors such as Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Rockwell-Collins, HP Enterprise Services, Booz Allen Hamilton, BAE Systems, Serco, Chenega and Salient.
- We focused our industry-specific solution investment in solutions for Business Development (BD) Operations, particularly IDIQ-based activities for Prime and Sub-contractors – a major area of intense competition in 2012 and going forward.
- We expanded our BD solution set to integrate with existing Proposal Development applications and introduced solutions for Capture & Proposal Management providing comprehensive visibility and process management for BD operations
- We began the process of cross-industry pollination, by bringing solutions from other industry customers into Federal Contractors such as Idea Challenge Management and Work Management for Engineering and Resource Planning and Program Management/Delivery based upon the CorasWorks Project Portfolio Management solution
- We continued to expand our footprint in the Federal Government (Military and Civilian) with large deployments in the Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines that enables Federal Contractors to leverage CorasWorks on SharePoint to deliver more competitive services and systems to their customers.
We learned a great deal more about the industry, the solutions, and the way of working within Federal Contractors over the year. It is pretty clear that the internal operations of Federal Contractors have a lot of room to benefit by increased efficiency and effectiveness. The BD area of IDIQ work was a real winner where most customers have a) older, legacy systems or b) nothing but email (NBE). We’ve taken this segment to a new level in terms of lower cost and higher efficiency and effectiveness. The best testament of our success with BD solutions and in other Federal Contractor business functions are our Customer Successes. You can read about these by looking at articles of this blog (See Category of Federal Government Contractors, with 9 articles, or by a specific solution Category) or reading about our Solutions and Case Studies at our Federal Contractor micro-site of the CorasWorks web site.
What’s Ahead in 2013
Sequestration still looms. Continued increase in competition is a fact. To help you compete, we are pushing our Collaborative Work Management solutions for Federal Contractors forward in 2013 in the following areas:
- We will continue our focus on solutions for BD Operations. Here you simply have to be at your best. We will continue to move our IDIQ oriented solutions forward to make our customers the top in internal efficiency and effectiveness and the robustness of partner engagement. We are also deepening our integration and support for Capture & Proposal Management activities and integration with third-party legacy applications for CRM (notably Deltek GovWin’s CRM), ERP, HR, and Contract Administration.
- We are “verticalizing” the CorasWorks Project Portfolio Management solution to more specifically support work for Program Management, Delivery and Operations in Federal Contractors (what you do after you win the business – the downstream activities).
- We are deepening our presence in the Engineering business function by bringing Engineering solutions from other industries into the Federal Contractor space, such as Engineering Work Management, Configuration Management, Idea and Innovation Management, Resource Planning and Demand Management. This need is being accelerated as our customers start separating their services business from their systems businesses and are looking to set new benchmarks in the management of globally distributed engineering resources.
- We will continue to expand our set of solutions for cross-functional activities with corporate functions such as HR, IT, Finance, and Legal and cross-pollinate these solutions into our customer base.
- We are putting new programs in place to help our Federal Contractor customers build CorasWorks competencies internally that help them be more competitive when delivering solutions to Federal customers that leverage SharePoint – a growing segment of the services sector.
CorasWorks – At Your Service
In 2013, it is not going to get any easier to win business or deliver it profitably. The way to succeed is by getting better and being more innovative. As part of this we feel that you truly do need to a) eliminate the noise of redundant, ad hoc, wasted activity, b) break the silos, and c) provide the visibility and embedded collaboration to focus resources when and where you need it.
As innovative leaders in Collaborative Work Management solutions on SharePoint and with our focus on Federal Government Contractors we can help you get you where you want and need to be – more quickly, at less cost and with less risk. We look forward to serving you in 2013.